Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Elizabeth is a well-known author of her book Eat, Pray and Love. I deliberately picked up this book for the purpose of inspiring and stimulating my personal creativity. Oh, and it was on offer, and I was in the phase of book shopping spree ha!
Before reading this book, I read a lot of reviews and prejudice about the book. Reviewers discussed how the author wrote in a narcissistic way and how disappointed they are. Which typically affects my perspective about a book, however, when I read non-fiction books I always read it with an empty hat, and absorb what I need and what I want.
So here are the points and concepts I really like throughout the book.
- The concept of shit sandwich- “Everything sucks, some of the time.” You just have to decide what sort of suckage you’re willing to deal with. So the question is not much” What are you passionate about?” The question is “ What are you passionate enough about that you can endure the most disagreeable aspects of the work?”
- Gamble – But if you’re going to gamble, know that you are gambling. Never roll the dice without being aware that you are holding a pair of dice in your hands. And make certain that you actually cover your bets (both emotionally and financially).
- Nature provides the seed; man provides the garden; each is grateful for the other’s help.
- Your ego is a wonderful servant, but it’s a terrible master.
- There was a really nice short story about Mr Ford towards the end of the book!
To be honest, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to people who are looking for something inspirational to read. It was easy and enjoyable read; Elizabeth portrayed an encouraging, joyful and determined persona throughout the book which was charming and engaging. So ignore the reviews, pick it up and explore it! : )
Have a great week everyone! Happy reading!!
What are you reading right now?